Pokémon Legends: Arceus | Catching Shiny: Probabilities, Shiny Pin and Tips
Good news for all shiny hunters: The rare shiny monsters are also available in Pokémon Legends: Arceus. This immediately raises questions as to whether there are shiny-locked monsters, how you recognize Shiny Pokémon, and what the probabilities are. We explain all this to you in this guide!
Can Starters and Legendary Pokémon be Shinys?
No. The starter Pokémon and all other static encounters are shiny-locked. That’s why you can’t add the Legendary and Mythical Pokémon to your dazzling collection. However, later in the game, it is possible to catch starters normally. In the linked guide we explain how to do this.
How do you recognize shinys?
Luckily, this is easy to do in Pokémon Legends: Arceus, because the dazzling monsters appear directly in the game world in their special color. So you can recognize the Shinys immediately and don’t have to fight any battles, as is usually the case in Pokémon games. This makes it much easier to find Shiny Pokémon. To make sure you don’t miss the Shinys, a star animation will also appear on the screen and a special sound effect will play.
What are the chances of a shiny?
The default probability is 1/4096, as in all recent Pokémon games. However, with so many monsters roaming the game world and you can see them right away, finding a Shiny Pokémon is a lot easier in Pokémon Legends: Arceus. In our playthrough, we encountered a Shiny after just a few hours of play.
The following conditions increase the probability of a shiny :
- You get an extra roll for a Pokémon when you reach research level 10 in that monster’s Pokédex entry. The chance is then 1/2048.
- If you complete all of a monster’s Pokédex tasks and get the perfect entry, there’s a bonus of two extra rolls for a Shiny. The chance is then 1/1024.
- If you own the Schillerpin, you get three extra rolls for Shinys. The chance is then 1/819.
- The biggest bonus is for mass Pokémon, and that’s 25 rolls! The chance is then 1/158. The map always shows you which Pokémon appear in which areas in masses.
- If you have the shiny pin and are chasing a mass Pokémon, you will get the highest possible probability of a Shiny with 1/128.
This is how you get the Schillerpin
As usual, you have to catch all Pokemon to get the Shiny Pin. In Pokémon Legends: Arceus, however, you have to go one step further. Not only is it enough to own all of the Pokémon, you also need to reach research level 10 on each entry. Once you have done that, you must report to Professor Laven in the Galactic Building and you will be rewarded with the Shiny Pin.
Shiny hunting tips
Finally, we want to provide you with a few useful tips that you should know when looking for Shiny Pokémon.
- Since it is extremely time-consuming to get the Schillerpin, it is not worth waiting until then to hunt Shiny. It’s also very easy to find a Shiny, especially with massive runs of Pokemon.
- For mass launches, keep in mind that you must either catch or defeat a Pokémon in order for a new Pokémon to spawn. So do this all the time until a shiny appears or the massive run ends.
- Since Pokémon can flee both on the overworld and in battle, you should save the game when a Shiny appears. If you fail to catch the Shiny, you can then load the game and try again. But you should turn off the automatic backup in the settings.
- All positions of the Pokémon are saved in the game world. Do you have e.g. For example, if you spot a Shiny but then knock it out for some reason, you can return to that spot? The Shiny will still be there.
- However, this also means that the positions of all non-Shiny Pokémon are also saved. So it’s no use spending hours exploring the same places in the game world and hoping for a shiny. If you have fully explored an area and haven’t spotted a Shiny, it is best to leave the area completely and return. This refreshes all Pokémon spawns.