Dread Hunger Launches on Steam for PC
Digital Confectioners, an independent PC and console games studio, announced today that Dread Hunger, its multiplayer game of survival and betrayal where players undertake a deadly voyage, has launched on Steam for PC. The game is priced at $29.99 / £23.79 / €24.99.
Dread Hunger advances the social deception genre by immersing players in an 1840s Arctic exploration voyage where eight player-controlled Explorers depend on each other for survival—but two of them are Thralls determined to sabotage the mission!
The game mixes survival gameplay in an icy Unreal® Engine world with roleplaying and social deception over voice chat, a concept constructed by creative director Alex Quick, previously known for Maneater, Killing Floor, and Depth, and his team. This unique combination continues to attract game content creators and players alike, with millions of video views and an 86% positive user review score during its successful Early Access campaign.
The potent mix of suspense, survival, and roleplaying can be seen in the new Dread Hunger “A Toast” launch trailer:
“The team has worked side by side with our community to deliver a thrilling social deduction game with PvP elements that put players in the roles of Arctic explorers on a voyage gone wrong,” said Alex Quick, Creative Director of the Dread Hunger Team. “Dread Hunger is about working together to survive while not knowing whom to trust. It’s a game that can bring out the best in players while offering the most duplicitous options for the two Thralls hidden amongst the crew to exploit. It can be exciting, frustrating, and suspenseful by turns, with the only certainty being that no two voyages will be the same.”
It’s up to each player in Dread Hunger to bring life to their chosen character through voice chat while completing objectives. The six Explorers must work together to gather resources to power the steam-powered sailing ship towards its destination while contending with the harsh climate.
Meanwhile, Thralls plot to poison food, massacre crewmembers, blow holes in the ship and invoke dark magic to undermine the mission—all while pretending to be loyal Explorers. Starvation, wolves, cannibal attacks, and other gruesome fates abound, and any misplaced trust can quickly lead to a knife in the back. When food is sparse, fellow crewmates appear more and more appetizing.
Game Key Features
- Survive the Arctic: Build fires to stay warm, fend off predators, and hunt for food to stay alive in the unforgiving Canadian Arctic
- Betray Your Friends: Feed them tainted food, lure animals to attack them, hex them with blood magic, or if all else fails… shoot them in the back and blame someone else
- Roleplay Your Character: Add flavor and personality to your character by using integrated voice chat and your in-game actions. Play as the Captain, Navigator, Engineer, Cook, Doctor, Chaplain, Royal Marine, Hunter, or Engineer, all equipped with a unique starting kit and passive ability.
- You Are What You Eat: In the Arctic, you must make grim choices to stay fed; butcher bodies and use the pieces as weapons—or food
- Captain a Ship: Steer a 19th-century warship around (or into) icebergs and find coal for the ever-hungry boiler to keep the ship moving… or blow it up
- Brave a Perilous World: Plan around a full day and night cycle while trying to outrun a massive blizzard that looms over the expedition
- New Armory Secondary Crew Objective: The Armory can provide powerful weapons to Explorers or Thralls, depending on who manages to unlock it first
Dread Hunger is developed by the Dread Hunger Team and published by Digital Confectioners. The developers are exploring options to bring the game to other platforms.
About Digital Confectioners
Digital Confectioners is a New Zealand-based studio creating high-quality service-based games for PC and consoles. Its highly anticipated multiplayer deception adventure, Dread Hunger, launched on PC via Steam on January 26, 2022. Dread Hunger first caught the attention of players and streamers during its successful Early Access campaign, with millions of video views and an 86% user rating.
Leave a Reply